Monthly disposables are among the most popular type of contact lenses for the 75 million wearers worldwide. This is because they are cost effective and very comfortable owing to the development of new lens material which allows more oxygen to reach the eye.
We have put together a care guide to help you look after your monthly disposable lenses.
This guide has been prepared by our professional optometrists to ensure that it contains the most beneficial and up to date information possible.
1. Always wash your hands prior to touching your lenses. If you can, use a non-spotted soap as fragranced soap leaves a residue on your fingers which can be transferred to your lenses and irritate your eyes.
2. Keeping your fingernails short and filing away jagged edges reduces the risk of scratching your lenses or eye.
3. Always apply make up AFTER inserting your lenses to make sure that you do not get residue in your eye or on your contact lenses.
4. Never soak your contact lenses in tap water because it contains bacteria that can cause eye infections. Instead you should use specially designed contact lens solution.
5. Do not keep the same contact lens solution in your lens store case and use it for multiple soakings- solution should be used once and then thrown away.
6. Rinse your storage case thoroughly every day with a sterile rinsing solution.
7. Change your lens storage case every three months.
Since monthly disposable contact lenses are worn for a whole month before they are treated of it is important to take proper care of them. Failure to do so can cause eye infections which can result in discomfort, redness and even distorted vision.
If you have any questions about the care tips outlined above please contact your optometrist for information and advice.